The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) moderator has appointed four members to the special committee reviewing the denomination's practice of holding its General Assembly every two years.
The Rev. Neal D. Presa, Moderator for the 220th G.A. (2012) made the selections with authorization from the General Assembly earlier this year.
General Assemblies of the PC (U.S.A.) became biennial in 2004 after being annual for most of the denomination's history. The committee appointed to review the practice was ordered to review it after 2010.
Rev. Presa said the new additions add to the "already stellar" membership of the "Special Committee to Review Biennial General Assemblies." The panel will be "further enhanced" with the new additions, he said.
"These four appointees offer a fresh perspective and a deep love for Christ and the church. They are committed to discerning that when the church meets in council as the General Assembly every two years that it does so in ways that enable maximal discernment of the will and mind of our Lord Jesus Christ," Rev. Presa said.
Staffing the special committee is the Rev. Thomas Hay, director of the Office of the General Assembly Operations and G.A. Meeting Service. The special committee will report its findings and recommendations to the 221st G.A. (2014).
He noted that in each special committee of the General Assembly he has appointed Young Adult Advisory Delegates.
"These YAADs will bring the same exemplary and insightful leadership they did at the 220th General Assembly, including this expanded committee," he said.
The new members are:
- The Rev. Rhonda K. Kruse of Hudson River Presbytery
- Ruling Elder Lee Han Tan of the Milwaukee Presbytery
- The Rev. Reggie A. Weaver of the Chicago Presbytery
- And Ruling Elder Connor Clark of Heartland Presbytery
The ongoing members of the committee are:
- The Reverend W. Glen Bell, Whitewater Valley Presbytery, Synod of Lincoln Trails;
- The Reverend Theresa Cho, San Francisco Presbytery, Synod of the Pacific, Commissioner to the 210th General Assembly;
- Mr. Glen Alberto Guenther, Kendall Presbytery, Synod of the Pacific, Young Adult Advisory Delegate to the 219th General Assembly (2010);
- Mr. Marcus C. Lambright, Miami Valley Presbytery, Synod of the Covenant, Young Adult Advisory Delegate to the 219th General Assembly (2010);
- Ruling Elder Kathy Lueckert, Seattle Presbytery, Synod of Alaska Northwest;
- The Reverend Carol McDonald (moderator), Wabash Valley Presbytery, Synod of Lincoln Trails;
- The Reverend Matthew Schramm, Lake Huron Presbytery, Synod of the Covenant, member of the Presbyterian Mission Agency Board; and
- The Reverend David A. Van Dyke, Twin Cities Area Presbytery, Synod of Lakes and Prairies.