Here are 10 special moments to remember during Pope Francis' first few days as the new pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church:
1. Pope Francis' first public appearance:
Shortly after being elected, Pope Francis makes his debut before a big crowd gathered in St. Peter's Square to greet him.
2. Pope Francis' first prayer:
Pope Francis bows and then asks his brothers to pray and bless him. "Before the bishop blesses his people, he asks that you pray to the Lord to bless me," he said.
3. First pope to take off red stole and wear own cross:
4. Pope Francis' delivers first Mass, homily:
During Mass at the Sistine Chapel, the pope urged the Church to be "disciples of the Lord" by preaching the name of Jesus Christ and the Gospel.
5. Pope Francis meets cardinals who elected him:
The last time they were all together was casting votes for the new pope in the Sistine Chapel. Now, they were all able to meet Pope Francis in his first meeting with cardinals.
6. First outing as pope:
For his first outing after the election, Pope Francis visits the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore.
7. Pope Francis' first press conference:
He explains why he chose the name Francis, saying a cardinal told him to not forget the poor.
8. The new leader's first thumbs up:
Pope Francis gives a thumbs up during his first press conference.
9. First to take papal name Francis:
Pope Francis is the first pontiff to take a papal name after St. Francis of Assisi - a rich man who gave away his wealth and went to work for the poor and animals.
10. First pope from Latin America:
Pope Francis is a son of Italian immigrants to Argentina. The election of a Latin American pope is significant since 40 percent of the world's 1.2 billion Catholics are in the region.