Tutu released from hospital, told to 'put his feet up'

(Photo: Credit: Tutu Legacy Twitter)Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu (L), Rev. Canon Mpho Tutu (C) and Tutu's son-in-law Mthunzi Gxashe on July 21, 2015.

Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu has returned home after a week in the hospital where he was treated for a persistent infection that was treated by intravenous antibiotics.

His daughter, Rev. Canon Mpho Tutu, said at the time he went into hospital that he had difficulty with the oral antibiotics and was required to spend time at hospital for optimal treatment.

In a statement the Desmond and Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation said he had arrived home on July 21 and he has been asked not to push himself too hard.

Mpho Tutu praised her father's medical team which has prescribed plenty of rest for the 83-year-old Nobel Peace Prize laureate, who is a much beloved in South Africa.

"They have been fantastic and we'll be doing our best not to disappoint them," said Mpho Tutu.

The former South African Anglican leader was treated by a team of "world class" doctors and seemed his usual cheerful self in pictures he posed for at home.

Tutu arrived to talk to reporters in a robe with the words "Feet Up, Arch" embroidered on the back he smiled for pictures with his daughter, wife and son-in-law.

Tutu is regarded as one of South Africa's most outspoken leaders, and while he was the scourge of those heading the apartheid regime, he has also strongly criticised President Jacob Zuma for corruption on a number of occasions

He chaired the Truth and Reconciliation Commission aimed at addressing the wrongs of apartheid while serving as a vehicle of forgiveness.

After his discharge from the hospital he smiled as his daughter, Mpho, pulled a funny face, while he stood next to his son-in-law and aide Muthunzi Gxashe.

He also cuddled with his Leah, with whom he recelty celebrated 60 years of marriage.

In the statement Tutu thanked his doctors, saying he looked forward to spending quality time with his wife and watching a cricket matvch between Bangladesh and South Africa.

The family was grateful for the love and support they received from various South Africans and people abroad, Mpho added.

Tutu was admitted to a Cape Town hospital July 14 to treat an infection that his daughter described as "below the belt". She said it was not his prostate.

Tutu has been living with prostate cancer for 15 years and his doctors said they had not found any new malignant tumours.

The news of Tutu's illness made international headlines with many people using social media to wish him well, the Cape Argus newspaper reported.

(Credit: Tutu Legacy Twitter)Desmond Tutu shows his gown after his release from the hospital July 21, 2015.

On Facebook some still wished him good health as they commented on the pictures of him at home.                                                      

Isabel Potgieter said: "Great news. Get better soon, Arch," while Glynis Rozendo said, "Thank the Lord and I hope the Arch listens to the doctors' advice."

Louise Wilken shared a Bible verse from Jeremiah 30: 17 which read: "For I will restore health to you and heal you of your wounds, says the Lord."

Copyright © 2015 Ecumenical News