U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemning the "horrific" attack on Kano Central Mosque, one the country's largest, which killed dozens of people and injured hundreds of others.
In a statement on November 29, Ban called on the authorities to bring the perpetrators to justice and reiterated the United Nations support to Nigeria's battle against terrorism.
"The Secretary-General reaffirms the full support of the United Nations to Nigeria's efforts to fight terrorism and to provide security to the population consistent with international law and Nigeria's human rights obligations," the statement said.
One bomb exploded inside the mosque and two others detonated at the gates of the adjoining palace home to the Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, who condemned Boko Haram in a recent sermon.
Emir Sanusi is one of the highest ranking Islamic figures in Nigeria, was reported to have been out of the country at the time of the attack, which killed 35 people and injured an estimated 150, Reuters news agency reported.
Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan pledged to track down those responsible for Friday's attack that reportedly left 120 dead and a further 270 injured.
The Islamist militant group Boko Haram is suspected of carrying out the attack though so far no one has claimed responsibility, euronews reported.
President Jonathan said his government will take every step to put an end to what he called the "reprehensible acts of all groups and persons involved in acts of terrorism."
In a statement issued by his spokesperson in New York, Ban condemned the deadly attack on one of the largest mosques in the northern Nigerian city of Kano.
After the explosions scores of people were injured when gunmen reportedly set off multiple bombs and fired on worshipers at the mosque.
The secretary-general conveyed his deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and to the people and Government of Nigeria and wishes swift recovery to the injured.
Calling on the Nigerian authorities to swiftly bring the perpetrators to justice, Ban in his statement reiterated that there can be no justification for attacks on civilians.
"The Secretary-General reaffirms the full support of the United Nations to Nigeria's efforts to fight terrorism and to provide security to the population consistent with international law and Nigeria's human rights obligations," the statement concluded.
The November 28 attack comes as the UN refugee agency reported that an attack earlier this week earlier this week on the northern Nigerian town of Damassak, for which the group Boko Haram claimed responsibility, left 50 people dead and forced at least 3,000 to flee to the Diffa region in neighbouring Niger.